Writing an RCON simulator

Coordinator
Jan 7, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Right now I don't have a server to test on, so, rather than asking someone to let me use their server, I've decided to start making an RCON simulator. This way, other developers for any other project, whether or not it uses this RCON library, will be able to test their projects while keeping their regular server intact.

This will be a WinForms application that attempts to imitate RCON (or as close a possible until someone corrects me, since I don't have a test server to compare to). Haven't done any real planning, although there will be plenty of controls to do things like change the rate at which kills happen and the frequency of map changes.

I'll probably host the project on CodePlex and start pretty soon. As always, it will be Mono-compatible.

Coordinator
Feb 11, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Even though I thankfully now have a test server, I'm still going ahead with my plan to create a server simulator. The RconServer class is now complete, so I'll start working on this new project. Still, though, this library has a higher priority.

Coordinator
Feb 21, 2012 at 12:34 AM
Edited Feb 21, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Not done yet, but progress can be watched at http://bf3sim.codeplex.com/

Coordinator
Mar 15, 2012 at 7:36 PM

From the site:

This code has been abandoned. In order to make a truly useful simulator, the simulator would have to emulate a server exactly. Due to poor documentation and somewhat poor implementation, simulating a BF3 server is far too much work to do alone. Should the documentation and the RCON interface be improved, I'll work on this project again. If you'd like to coordinate this project, please contact me.

Mar 28, 2012 at 10:13 AM
Edited Mar 28, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Have a look at this:

http://bf3devserver.codeplex.com

Coordinator
Mar 28, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Hey macx. I also got your message asking for my help. This reply is a little late because I've been busy with a couple of other things.

Regarding our dev server projects, I decided to abandon mine because of the incredible amount of work it would take to implement all of the behavior not found in the documentation. If you do decide to keep working on yours, be aware that it will be very difficult to fully match a real server.

As for your offer to help, I don't think I'll be needing help with this library, though thanks for asking. This project is pretty small, and the only updates to it happen when there are bugs to fix or RCON changes (which will happen shortly).

Right now, I'm just sitting around thinking about what would be fun to do next, while answering some questions on StackOverflow. If I decide to keep working on other BF3 projects, I would definitely be interested in working with you.

Mar 29, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Hey... great hearing from you.

I think it will not take this much time, because my goal is not to automatically answer the rcon-tool requests and simulate events (perhaps some small things I will work on) rather than be abled to create test scenarios the client has to handle.

My goal is to support developers in their work.

In first place there will be support for unit-tests and right now I'm working on a small WinForms-Application, where you can build the packets manually, which are sent from the server.

Even if you don't want to continue working on bf3 topics, let me know. Maybe something interesting for me comes to your mind.